Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Another Week, Another 10383839 Stories to Tell









So in advance, again, sorry for the length but you'd be surprised just how much happens in a week. Ok i'll try to keep everything in order so I don't forget.....

Saturday-Went to the Disco! It was a lot of fun and a huge culture shock. There is nothing like that for teens in the US for sure. They played only American music but with the crazy Techno beat. At one point my friend Frida (an exchange student from Norway) and I thought the fire alarm was going off but it was jut the music. Unfortuately it was the craziest night at Jam. Literally there were so many people walking was a stretch. it was so so hot too! but Fun, I can't wait to go again!

Tuesday-My first Vball game in Italy. It is so different. Like the game was at like 9:30pm. oh and parents don't come to watch games here, its not a big deal at all. It is a lot more relaxed too. After the game my friends and I went and got McDonalds. I usually don't eat McDs but believe it or not it was actually better here, not as greasing and gross.

Wednesday-STRIKE! Ok so today we didn't go to school cause we were striking against the Italian Government. I wasn't sure why we were until someone explained it. The Italian government is trying to make changes that could really hurt the country. For example they want to turn all public schools into Private schools. what this means is only the rich and wealthy can go to school. They also want to continue to give more money to the army and private schools (why private schools need money I have to idea) and leave public schools the way they are. Public schools are so poorly funded here in the first place. Also there are a lot of minor things like getting rid of their version of Credit Recovery, Assemblea, and all of the free time that students have throughout the day. Lots of kids were upset so we met in the Centro and paraded around protesting. Even though i didn't understand all of what they were saying it was really cool to see so many people standing up and taking action, we even had teachers with us.

Today was also such a nice day that after lunch Eleanora and I went to the park, Sat on a hill and she studied when I listened to music. In typical American fashion i wore capris and when i looked down i had a line just below my knees from the sun! wonderful! lol
*Random Culture thing i've noticed....Italy has like no laws. When people ask if I've can (fill in with some outrageous question to anyone from the US) and i am like no its Illegal. They can't believe that we can't do much of anything compared to them. its really weird to tell you the truth lol Oh and something else my friend from Norway (she's an exchange student too) brought up today was how weird it is that the entire world relies on our country for Movies, Music, TV, and everyone knows some English and everyone is amazed by our country. we are extremely blessed and i've really realized just how fortunate we are....Such a young country yet people almost Idolize us.

Also two times this week I have had my friends ask me about my religion, they just don't understand the concept at all. They were like no way?! are you serious? and i was like realy i'm not lieing. Some take it well some blow it off. Its a tough up hill battle. A lot of people are so harden to church and God cause it is so strict here so its definately going to take time for them to understand. But yeah atleast they asked....

Everything is obviously as fantastic as ever! Love you all so very much! Ciao

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.