Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Clearing Things Up

So apparently once again thanks to the world wide web I have been missunderstood. Those of you who have facebook yes I have a picture of a bar in a movie theater, and of a completely crazy shirt a kid wore to school, and of my first tast of wine (which was absolutely horrible by the way) but that doesn't mean I agree with or I am doing those things...AT ALL! they are all there to show you culture differences. To be honest it kinda hurts to think that some of you would jump to conclusions but what can I do right. I would say I'm the same Tanya I was when I left but in fact I've changed and grown so much. Living in a different counrty really teaches you a lot. I've learned to never be judgemental and not expect to be perfect. There are so many things that are different that if i were to judge the difference I'd be having a rotten time. To tell you the truth probably the hardest part is the fact I'm not in the 'safe shell' of the Bible Belt anymore. The real world is a lot scary and forward. Plus Europe in general has a lot less modesty which is really difficult to get used to. But I have been slowly making an impression, I think at least. For example like every Italian teenager knows every American cuss word, no joke, so one of my friends always says them and I told him that he really shouldn't and I explained all of it and he doesn't say them anymore around me. Also it is really common for Italians to say OMG and I also say oh my gosh or something like that so now all my friends not say OMG they say omgosh. its so funny too, with their accents. Also music, music is definately a tough thing. The music I listen to is only in the USA so no one here knows it, at all. But they love listening to my Zune and they always get songs they like and download them. So the Christian Music genre is making its way into Modena, Italy lol I know some of you were worried about not doing what I said I would but I am. I've only been here 5 weeks so getting the language down is first thing. Its hard to explain really deep things when people don't understand the simple things you say. So its going to take time but I do prepare for it everyday. A few days ago when i was going to bed I was listening to Casting Crowns and I've listened to those songs a million times but Voice of Truth really stuck out this time. Sometimes things seem almost impossible here because there is the culture and language barrier but I just think of those lyrics and its all better. Things are still as fantastic as usual, no worries, no stress, just a wonderful experience!

All My love!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We dont think you are becoming a hypocrite or anything. Just have a good time. We all believe in you and think you are doing a wonderful job spreading God's love. Keep it up.

Unknown said...

Yes, Tanya. You are still the same wonderful young lady we sent over there so keep being Tanya. We love you always! Oh, and Stephanie had a baby girl Thursday, March 12. The baby is beautiful! Keep spreading God's love and song and remember us in boring USA. lol