Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Day two at my new home in Italy. So far it’s great! My family so so nice, they remind me of home. Right now they will literally do anything for me. They know enough English where they can pretty much explain everything to me. It is so so nice. But at the same time it is so overwhelming when we go out somewhere and I don’t understand anything people are saying. I’ve done so much since I’ve gotten here its great. So I’ll do some small bullets of events.
*Italians eat a lot and all the time! I swear I’ve had more snacks and 3 course meal than me entire life! But man is it good! There isn’t one thing that I’ve had that I didn’t like.
*Coffee is extremely strong and in a very small glass. They drink it all the time too. Also hot chocolate is not we know, it’s thicker and you eat it with a spoon.
*Italian drivers are crazy!!! They go where ever they want whenever they want. No questions asked, if they are driving in the middle of the road who cares. Oh and they parallel park everywhere. I actually got car sick.
*Papa Walter makes the best breakfast; it’s like yogurt/cereal/milk/other things. It’s amazing!!
*Showering, oh wow that is fun. There is a lot of calcium in the water so you must clean the shower every time it is used. Lol Oh and you have to dry your hair.
*When you know barely any Italian your dictionary becomes your best friend. Mine has literally been in my pocket everyday.
*They talk super fast so if you know a little you can catch a few words but that’s bout it. Sometimes I don’t realize they are even talking about me lol
* I met my Tutor and English teacher today; he is super nice and sounds British when he speaks English. My school is crazy! I’m so excited though. I’m the first foreign exchange student so everyone is excited. And my tutor said I get to leave my class to go to more advanced English classes and help them which will be fun.
*Italians walk everywhere!!! It is so nice though because I’ve seen so much of the city. It is so beautiful. It is really nothing like we are used to. The Grande Centre is like straight out of the movies.
*When you hear an American songs playing in a store or anywhere really you get super excited because it’s something familiar.
*A great way to learn Italian is to read children’s books and set the table repeating what you are putting on it over and over again. I’m basically learning it 24/7. My family is so much help. Anna my younger sister is so funny because she ‘parlo italiano’ very slowly and then parlo inglese lol And they act things out for me.

I’m sure I’m missing a lot of things but I am off to help Papa Walter make a strudle. J This lifestyle is very different but awesome. I’m so tired I actually go to bed at 10pm. Tomorrow is my first day of school and I can’t wait to make new friends and start a routine. I miss home but this is really so surreal and amazing I’m so glad I did it. All my love!

No comments: